Monday, February 2, 2015

"All Your Base are Belong to Us" post #2

This one doesn't have a fancy title. Mostly because I've read way more chapters that what I would like to talk about in this post. But, here goes!


So I'm up to the point in video game history where gamers are just starting to see the emergence of the Playstation, and the great battle between Sony and Nintendo. Not long before this console's birth though, a little company called Electronic Arts (EA) created the widely popular Madden NFL games, collaborating with actual football players and coaches. One quote stuck out from this section to me, even though sports games aren't really my cuppa: "Yet Madden was the franchise that made history, earning more than $3 billion since it was first released. Much of that success was due to a new marketing plan for games, a kind of preplanned obsolescence and keep-up-with-the-Joneses business ethic...If you didn't have the new Madden, packed with this year's players...you weren't as cool as your game-playing who procured the newest version" (Goldberg 105). This mentality, in my opinion, is still around in video games today, but it's expanded outside the realm of sports games. If you don't have the newest Call of Duty game, or the latest DLC (downloadable content) for Dark Souls 2, you just aren't hip to the jive. There are, of course, gamers who could care less about the latest updates; they play the game for the story, which bring me to the next piece that stuck out in this section I read.

PC gaming found it's niche in 1980, with a text-based adventure game called Zork. (Text based games basically go like this: Computer: "You are walking along a path and come upon a boulder in your way." You type: "North" and based on that command, the computer will either progress your character or tell you you can't do that, forcing you to figure out the proper command.) Zork had zero graphics, which left everything up to the player's imagination, much like the role-playing games it was based on (such as Dungeons and Dragons). Zork led to other iconic role-playing games, most notably The 7th Guest. This was really the first immersive role-playing game that put players in to the world, through the eyes of the character they were playing as; the developers of The 7th Guest spent a tremendous amount of time and money creating the game to almost exactly resemble the experience one gets when they are watching a movie.
Now, RPG's are a genre in their own right, with popular titles such as: the Final Fantasy series, The Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger series, Elder Scrolls series, and many others. The common element that all these games share: players spend a great deal of time becoming engrossed in the story of the characters. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that my boyfriend is a super serious gamer. RPG's are some of his favorite, and he's logged over 500 hours in Final Fantasy VII (not all in one-go, don't worry!) What interests me the most about this type of immersion is that the exact same type of immersion happens when readers get lost in an excellent book. So, that begs the question then O Reader, how can we engage our students who love video game stories, but hate reading, in the same sort of immersion that happens in their video games, but in literature?

Lots of food for thought, I know. And I did get a bit rambly. But I love this book and I can't recommend it enough!
Ok, 'til next time Dear Reader.

-C

7 comments:

  1. Wow, the interest that sucks you in. My previous students and my teenage sons are into video games. They sponsor and participate in tournaments. I ask them about the strategies and objectives of those games. It sounds very interesting, although, I do not quite remember specifically what they said about it. I do remember Zork and Dungeons and Dragons. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the interest that sucks you in. My previous students and my teenage sons are into video games. They sponsor and participate in tournaments. I ask them about the strategies and objectives of those games. It sounds very interesting, although, I do not quite remember specifically what they said about it. I do remember Zork and Dungeons and Dragons. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of my top student that stays for afterschool tutoring to help me assist the regular tutoring students. But, when she isn't tutoring, she goes on this web gaming site that challenges her to answer difficult math problems before going onto the next stage. I guess I can look into it and send the website. Maybe she'll find something for reading. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catie,
    It is very interesting post. Video games will play an important role in education the future. BTW, I'm working on RPG Maker now to design situational dialogues game. It is very interesting to mess around with RPG.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catie, I had never heard of the Zork game before. I am curious as to how these games relate to the youtube video we watched about game dynamics. Do any of the dynamics described in this video apply to RPGs? I agree that there is a lot of potential here for games like these to help students with reading but what about writing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina: one thought about using RPGs for writing would to maybe have students write a short narrative as their favorite character? Or have the setting take place in their favorite RPG world?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog post, Catie. I was just reading about Zork in the book that I'm blogging about this semester - "Hamlet on the Holodeck." I hadn't heard of it before, but it does seem to be one of the founding role playing games. The author of my book is exploring somewhat your last question: how can traditional narrative/literature and gaming be blended so as to include the important aspects of agency and interactivity that attract so many gamers along with compelling, meaningful narratives akin to those found in literary fiction. The author of my book foresees a shift in the future of narrative in which "literature" and "games" may not be so easily distinguished. - Elise

    ReplyDelete