Wednesday, March 18, 2015

"Make Me a Story" chapters 3-4

This chunk of the book that I read for this blog post focuses on taking young writers through the writing process, making sure each step gets focus. Miller's version of the steps in the writing process are:
(I'm paraphrasing her steps, the whole list is in her book on pg. 33)
Write before writing: This is the step that involves brainstorming and asking questions about your subject

Research for writing: pretty self-explanatory; this step is all about finding more information about your subject through whatever method works best for you: library, Internet, or good old fashioned encyclopedias.

Begin writing: Finding a focus and starting writing! Things to consider: point of view, audience, images that might go with your story.

Keep writing: This is the step where you make sure all the parts of your draft are solid and coherent. Here would also be where you could plan where your images would go in connection with your story, as well as pumping up your story with exciting and interesting details.

Finish writing: Here is the final push, getting your story and all it's components together. This could include: putting your story in the computer, adding music and fancy transitions, and the presentation of your story to an audience.


Miller also strives to make clear that the writing process is most definitely not linear, even though this process is listed as such. I could definitely see many students getting confused about that, so I would prefer to present them with a model that looks more like this:

The wording is a bit more confusing in this picture than in Miller's linear model, but I think it better articulates the non-linear process of writing and revising. Maybe a combination of the two? Not sure, I'd have to try it.

I'm almost done with the book so my next post will be the last one from the book. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I like to focus on pre-writing with my students. It helps a lot to combat issues that usually come up during drafting, like having writer's block, not having evidence, not having an argument, or not knowing how to say something. I help my students prepare for writing by gathering evidence, using graphic organizers, and discussing at length with classmates before even starting a draft. I also like to tell them about famous authors' prewriting practices, like Ernest Hemingway's drinking habit or my love of a good cup of tea. That helps set the mood in a holistic way just as much as the technical aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catie, would you include peer-reviewing in this process? From discussions that would precede the writing to help with editing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catie,
    This process reminds me with the one that Flower and Hayes explained when it comes to writing process. Definitely, these are very important steps that students should be aware of them.

    I'm waiting for your next post about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the diagram you shared. There's almost no ending. Indeed, how the writing process should be explained. I love to see my students writing. They have so much to say. Seeing their topics come to life is like art.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete